- Mama recommends a Kitchenaid brand mixer.
- Use the flat paddle for mixing, not the dough hook.
*** The smaller the pans the easier the bread can hold its rise. You can be creative with your pans.
* Mama’s style use 6, 4 inch round Wilton cake Pans Bake for 28-30 minutes
* Glass loaf pan (reduce heat to 375°) Bakie for 60 minutes covering last 20 minutes with foil to prevent over browning.
* Non-stick loaf pans Bake for 60 minutes covering last 20 minutes to prevent over browning.
* Stoneware (baking times may vary +/- 5 min.)
* Mini loaf Bake 30-35 minutes
* French Loaf pan Bakes for 55-60 minutes.
* Mama's Pull Apart Rolls Bake 28-30 minutes.
* Muffin Tin Bake 18–20 minutes.
* Mix together warm water (105-115°), yeast and sugar or agave. Set aside until foamy.
* Use fresh yeast. If the mixture doesn’t foam your yeast is old, throw it out!
* Sugar helps to activate the yeast. It is not required, just recommended.
* Mama uses Active Dry yeast. (use 1 Tbsp.) For Rapid Rise yeast use 1¾ tsp.
* For best results, use filtered, distilled water or purified water.
* Tap water can be filled with chlorine that may inhibit rising. Also, some well waters can be too soft or too hard.
* Milk, buttermilk, applesauce, yogurt, and cheeses should be at room temp. for best results. Set our on counter 30 minutes before beginning, or microwave 10-20 seconds.
* Use dry measuring cups for honey and Applesauce. Scrape across top of cup to level.
* Measure liquid ingredients in liquid measuring cups. Look at glass at eye level for accurate measurement.
* Cover breads with dry to towel. - Rise in warm place for 1 1/2-2 hours.
* Try turning oven on to help heat up a cold kitchen or even bake cookies or something.
* Only allow to rise once. Gluten Free breads only need a single rise.
* This can be normal. If it is gummy on the inside try the tips below.
* Be sure to measure correctly.
* Slash bread 3 times across top before baking.
* There may be too much moisture. Try reducing liquid by 2-3 Tbsp. or add 1-2 Tbsp. flour.
* When baking is done, turn off oven. Leave in oven an additional 5 minutes with door ajar.
You can use any of Mama’s Yeast Bread Recipes in a bread machine. Just follow these simple steps below.
1. Use a bread machine that has a gluten free or single rise cycle. Cuisinart is a great brand.
2. Add wet ingredients, except water. (ie: eggs, flax gel, butter or oil, cider vinegar, milk)
3. Add dry ingredients.
4. Make a little well in center of flour. Pour in yeast. (Use 1 Tbsp. for active dry, or 1 ¾ tsp. of rapid rise)
5. Add warm water as directed in recipe.
6. Run your rubber scraper around edges of pan to incorporate dry ingredients.
7. Place bread pan in bread machine and set to gluten free cycle or to the single rise cycle. Set to dark crust if you machine allows you to change crust settings.
8. When kneading cycle is over, if desired, smooth out top of bread. Add seeds or herbs at this time if desired.
9. Leave bread in bread machine for 20-30 minutes after it is done baking. Remove bread from pan and finish cooling before slicing.